Education

Third Of Gujarat Board Class 10 Students Earned Grace Marks Last Year

According to data obtained by The Indian Express, over 170 of the 2.66 lakh students who received grace marks received up to 200 more marks — the minimum pass mark is 231 — and nearly 9,400 students received more than 100 grace marks.
Over a third of the 8.5 lakh Class 10 students promoted to Class 11 by the Gujarat Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board (GSHSEB) in the 2020-2021 academic year needed grace marks to pass.

ALSO READ: Tamil Nadu Schools Closed Until January 31 Due to Covid-19

According to data obtained by The Indian Express, over 170 of the 2.66 lakh students who received grace marks received up to 200 more marks — the minimum pass mark is 231 — and nearly 9,400 students received more than 100 grace marks.

The findings, which reveal how mass promotions were facilitated, are crucial because they are likely to be replicated across the country in a pandemic year, when learning took a hit and the CBSE and most state Boards, including the GSHSEB, cancelled the Class 10 and 12 term-end exams.
All 8.5 lakh’regular’ students in Gujarat who registered for Class 10 exams in 2020-21 were promoted to Class 11.

To pass Class 10, students must receive a minimum of 33 marks in each of the seven courses. Approximately 65 girls and over 110 guys are among the 170 pupils who received nearly 200 grace marks.

According to a district-by-district breakdown, the majority of those who benefited from the mass promotion came from Banaskantha, where about 19,700 kids — or 40% of the total 49,108 – needed grace marks to pass their Class 10 exams.

Gujarat Board Class 10 Students
Gujarat Board Class 10 Students

ALSO READ: University Semester Exams Will Be Offline, Says MP Higher Education Minister

Surat, which has traditionally been the district with the greatest pass rate, has the second highest number of students passing with grace marks (17,750). The city of Vadodara is next, with nearly 13,600 pupils receiving grace marks.
With the exams cancelled, the school board devised a mechanism for calculating total marks, which included using the results of unit tests administered by the schools in Classes 9 and 10 as a starting point for extrapolating the Board exam result.

The unit tests in Class 9 accounted for 40% of the overall marks, while the internal tests in Class 10 accounted for the remaining 60%. According to sources, those who did not pass — that is, those who were given grace marks — were among those who failed the unit tests.

Students were also given grades based on the total marks calculated using this technique, with grades ranging from A1 (100-91 marks) to D (100-91 marks) (33-40 marks). No student received E1 (21-32 marks) or E2 (20 and below) grades as a result of mass promotion.
Last year’s Class 10 results, released on June 29 by the Board, saw 4,974 students receive A1, the highest mark, compared to 1,671 in 2019-20. The state Board had a pass percentage of 60.64 percent in the non-Covid academic year of 2019-2020, when the exams were held offline.

ALSO CHECK OUT: Maharashtra Schools may Reopen Next Week, Says Proposal

According to education department sources, a report is being developed based on the analysis of grace and internal marks. “All district education officials’ reports have been requested, and they are being gathered,” stated a senior education official.

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please close Adblocker