Today is Somvati Amavasya. It is a most auspicious day in the Hindu calendar. At the Mahakumbh going on at Haridwar, lakhs of devotees have gathered at Har Ki Pauri Ghat, since daybreak, to offer prayers to the Sun god and take a holy dip. Amid the surge in Covid-19 infections, there are a number of restrictions in place. According to the police, pilgrims have been allowed at the ghats till 7 am and after that the area has been reserved for the akharas. Somvati Amavasya is the second Shahi Snan day ay the Kumbh.
“We are continuously appealing to people to follow Covid appropriate behaviour. But due to the huge crowd, it is practically not possible to issue challans today. It is very difficult to ensure social distancing at ghats,” Kumbh Mela IG Sanjay Gunjyal told news agency ANI, adding that “A stampede-like situation may arise if we would try to enforce social distancing at ghats…”.
Video from Haridwar Mahakumbh on Somvati Amavasya: See here
— ANI (@ANI) April 12, 2021
A day before devotees watched Ganga aarti in Haridwar:
#WATCH Devotees in large numbers gathered at Har ki Pauri today ahead of Ganga aarti, in Haridwar
— ANI (@ANI) April 11, 2021
Somvati Amavasya: Puja Muhurta, Puja Vidhi and all the details
Shukla Paksha Pratipada Tithi upto 10:16 AM
Amavasya tithi ends at 8.02 AM on April 12.
Here how to observe Somvati Amavasya today
- Devotees usually wake up early in the morning
- They take a bath in a water body nearby or even at home at the Brahma Muhurta
- Devotees offer water and pray to the Suryadev at sunrise.
- Prayers are offered to ancestors also on Somvati Amavasya
- Many devotees fast on Somvati Amavasya
- Many also like to offer food and other things to the poor and needy