Health

10,856 new Covid-19 cases in Odisha, taking the number of microns to 202

COVID in Odisha-

On Saturday, the caseload reached 11,22,735 with 10,856 new infections, while two more fatalities brought the death toll to 8,478, according to the Health Department’s bulletin. A health department official said the state also reported 32 new Omicron cases, bringing the total number of cases of the new coronavirus strain in Odisha to 202.

Read More: COVID-19 has been detected in 66 inmates and 48 staff members of three Delhi jails

According to the bulletin, the daily test positivity rate increased to 14.49 percent from 13.57 percent the day before, when 10,273 coronavirus cases were reported. The state capital Bhubaneswar is located in Khurda district, which reported 3,087 new cases, followed by 1,943 in Sundargarh, 909 in Cuttack, and 500 in Sambalpur. According to the bulletin, 1,021 children tested positive for the infection out of 74,936 samples tested in the previous 24 hours. The state of Odisha now has 61,809 active cases, with 10,52,395 patients having recovered so far, including 2,216 since Friday, according to the bulletin.

Odisha, taking the number
Odisha, taking the number

Read More: After testing positive for COVID-19, Lata Mangeshkar was admitted to the ICU

According to the bulletin, 53 other COVID-19 patients who died in the state had comorbidities. After genome sequencing of the samples, the Institute of Life Sciences (ILS) in Bhubaneswar notified the state health and family welfare department about the discovery of new Omicron cases. The 32 new Omicron cases were discovered after genome sequencing of 42 samples, indicating a 76 percent positivity rate for the new coronavirus variant. During the most recent genome sequencing of samples collected between December 29 and January 9, 74.5 percent were found to be infected with the Delta variant, while the remaining 25.5 percent were infected with the Omicron strain. ILS director Ajay Parida had previously told journalists that the Delta variant was the most common in the state, but that the Omicron sub-type BA.2 was quickly displacing it. The ILS is the only laboratory in the state that offers genome sequencing services. On December 21, the highly transmissible coronavirus variant was discovered for the first time in Odisha. According to Public Health Director Niranjan Mishra, 1,100 coronavirus patients are currently hospitalised, accounting for less than 2% of active cases, with 350-360 in the ICU.

Read More: As COVID-19 escalates, Flipkart and 1MG increase demand for oximeter kits

Meanwhile, the outpatient department (OPD) at AIIMS Bhubaneswar will be closed starting Monday because a large number of staff and students have contracted the virus in the last week. According to the institute, the OPD will only be open to those who have registered online and for all emergency cases.

Read More: As COVID-19 escalates, Flipkart and 1MG increase demand for oximeter kits

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please close Adblocker